CALLING ALL TURKEYS & PIES!
What's a Thanksgiving meal without turkey and pumpkin pie? On Thanksgiving morning, volunteers deliver piping hot
roast turkeys and pumpkin pies to the Civic. It's a blessing to cook a turkey or pie for someone who wouldn't otherwise
have one or have the opportunity to sit down to supper with others. We thank you for your support!
YOU CAN ROAST A TURKEY OR BAKE A PIE
- It's simple and easy. Follow the recipe below. We'll even teach you how, if you come
- Bring Turkeys and Pies Thursday morning 8-10am. Be SURE the turkey is HOT.
(See recipe below.)
TURKEY ROASTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Get a 16-to-20 pound turkey. Buy a disposable roasting pan if you don't have one.
If the bird is frozen, be sure to defrost it in time! It takes about three days to thaw in the refrigerator.
- On Wednesday night, remove the neck and giblets from the cavity of the turkey, and wash it inside
and out with water. Let it drain, wipe dry with paper towel, then salt and pepper the inside cavity.
Put the turkey into the roasting pan. Do not cover the bird.
- Do NOT stuff the turkey! For health and safety reasons, we cannot accept stuffed turkeys.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Put the turkey in at 10 pm. Go to bed. Check your turkey
at about 8 am. If you are using a meat thermometer, it should read between 190 to 195 degrees F. If you do
not have a thermometer, you can stick a skewer or fork in the leg down to the bone. Check to see if the juices
(which run out) are clear (no red juices). If it is not done, turn up the temperature to 350 degrees F and cook until done.
- When done, remove it from the oven and wrap it in foil, and a heavy garbage bag. The plastic garbage
bag will keep the juices from running all over your car. Careful it's HOT! We will be carving the turkeys at
the Civic. The turkey must arrive at the Civic HOT! If you have a long drive, put it in a insulated box
(ice chest, etc.) to keep it HOT. Keep it safe - keep it HOT, HOT, HOT!
PIE BAKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Bake or purchase a pumpkin pie the day before. If cooking, it can be homemade
or a pre-made frozen type. If you buy a frozen pie, make sure you bake it. We do not have oven space to bake pies.